Sunday, August 11, 2013

We Don’t Own Anything


We Don’t Own Anything

I didn’t mention that my earlier post was also based upon this week’s Torah portion (Ki Tzatsie)
On the sentence that talks about a man marrying a women. Now I would like to address another topic
In this week’s Torah portion that has to do with 3 agricultural Mitzvas. Before I do that I would like to
Thank those individuals who came to Winn-Dixie this morning for a class. It was very enjoyable, let’s do it again.

The Mitzva of Peah is to leave a corner of my field for the poor.
The Mitzvah of Leket is that while I am harvesting my field – if 1 or 2 stalks falls from my hands to the ground, I must leave it to the poor and astly the Mitzvah Shichicha (forgotten) is that I finished harvesting and I realize that I forgot a small shave – that too I have to leave it for the poor

This is quite incredible. I mean I do the work, I get up ….. early, I plow, I cultivate, it is my blood, sweat and tears and what?
“finders weepers loses weepers” – is that so? The 5 second rule that allows you to eat food that fell on the ground doesn’t apply to
Stalks? Or that it is not enough that I have my regular tithes on my produce that I have to leave the corner of the field? I can’t just collect it all and distribute? I need to allow poor people to come onto my property and take from the corner, dropping and that I forgot ? WHY?

It would seem at first glance that the lesson is that all that you have (produce etc) is not all yours – you’ve got to share it. But I might have said that if I only was required to take all my produce in and separate some for the poor. But now you tell me that the poor can just come on my property to receive these 3 agricultural Mitzvah gifts , I have to go in another direction.

God wants us to understand that not only is the part that you give away is not yours but the stuff you keep is also not yours. God gives it all to you. God is trying to steer us clear far away from “entitlement” He gives us an opportunity to do what is necessary so that we feel like we have earned it. We are partners. But who gives us the land first? The resources to cultivate the land? The strength? Our life?

There is a Midrash on this week’s Torah portion that says “Is there anything that they have given me that I haven’t given first”? (God speaking)
A list of examples are given – Did anyone ever put up a Mezuzah without me having given them a house first? Did anyone ever put up a protective fence around their roof without me having given them a house first?  - also included in the list is Peah – God also says there I gave them the land – There is nothing we do, give without receiving gifts – they are not really ours – they are a trust – God gives them to us to fulfill his mission, goals, values, priorities etc
In my more poetic language to bring God’s light, love and goodness into the world – that’s why we got what we got!

Ultimately this is a deep message that not only your resources are a trust but your spouse, children and parents are too. Gifts for us- not entitlement –
We have them for as long as the Almighty deems that they are there for us to live life according to his will.  That’s why we had them in the first place.
Every moment is an undeserved gift -

Now Rosh Hashanah is approaching  - we recognize that soon the Almighty will decide what resources we will get in the upcoming year. We ask him to give us everything we need for his sake. Why would the Almighty not give you if you will use it for his world, goals and vision? Let’s join Hashem’s team- ask him for the stuff, do what we wants done and bring the blessing to the world that we all desperately need.


No comments:

Post a Comment